Originally the name appears to have been Ulfstruther signifying the Wolf’s Covert or hiding place. Other forms of the name are Foulstruther and Woolstruther.
“de firmis duarum parcium Ville de Elphinstoun et Ulstruther, in warda ut supra” (Exchequer Rolls Volume IV) of also how in 1438 there is payment of £19, 13 shillings and 4d “de firmis tenandie de Elphinstoun et Wolstruther.”
One of the earliest references made to the farm, is in the middle of the 3rd Century. Later in 1434 to be precise, a sum of £39 6s 8d was paid conjointly by the lands of Elphinston and Wolfstar to Sir William Crichton who held the Seton Estates in ward. Then, and long after, the Seton’s seem to have held superiority over Wolfstar. There was however, small periods of time when other people held Wolfstar. The Johnston’s of Elphinston being one, but such possession by others other than the Seton’s must be regarded in the light that at times, such as when Janet Hepburn, widow of that Lord Seton who fell at Flodden, purchased Foulstruther and gave it to her grandson, John Seton of Careston, it would appear to only have been owned in terms of “life-rent”, and later to have reverted to the head of the house.
The present farmhouse at Wolfstar is a fine specimen of an East Lothian farmhouse.
Just past the farmhouse is a row of farm cottages and immediately to the right across the road and onward towards the hill lies Pencaitland woods.
The farmland has chief crops of wheat, barley and oats, with some areas kept for the grazing of cattle.