Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/rudeduck/public_html/urbansea.com/wp-content/themes/continuum/functions/admin-hooks.php on line 160
W3vina.COM Free Wordpress Themes Joomla Templates Best Wordpress Themes Premium Wordpress Themes Top Best Wordpress Themes 2012
Tag Archives: John Cockburn

Ormiston Distillery

A brewery and distillery were established in Ormiston in 1726, when John Cockburn encouraged Mr Alexander Wight, one of his tenants, to set up a malting brewery and distillery. The distillery soon developed a reputation, and promoted the growing of grain in the area. Mr William Foot, distiller, had 2,026 bushels (1 bushel = 34lb [...]

0 Comments Read more »

Fountainhall or Penkaet Castle

Penkaet Castle © The Editors of The Gazetteer for Scotland

Fountainhall or Penkaet Castle is a Category A Listed building (listed in 1971), and it was built over 400 years ago. It is a fine example of a Laird’s home, which like many homes of this era has subsequently undergone several grouped phases of building, resulting in four interlocked blocks of cream sandstone buildings with [...]

0 Comments Read more »

Sir John Cockburn

Sir John Cockburn 1679-1758 © National Galleries of Scotland

Sir John Cockburn of Ormiston, in East Lothian, the great improver of Scottish husbandry, son of Adam Cockburn of Ormiston, lord-justice-clerk after the Revolution, by his wife Lady Susan Hamilton, was born about 1685. During his father’s life he was a member of the Scots parliament, and gave his support to the union of the [...]

0 Comments Read more »

Ormiston Castle

The East Lothian village of Ormiston is noted for having been rebuilt as a model community by John Cockburn of Ormiston in the 1730′s. Having established an agricultural society for landowners and tenants to discuss improvements in farming and promoting linen manufacture, bringing skilled foreign craftsmen into Scotland to train his estate workers, John was [...]

0 Comments Read more »

House O’ Muir

One and a half miles south west of Ormiston village at the junction of two by roads is a one storey building dating from the 17th Century.  It is oblong in plan and measures 17 feet 8 inches x 48 feet over walls 2 and a half feet thick.  The walls are roughcast and the [...]

0 Comments Read more »

People in the History of Ormiston

In 1127, Robert; Bishop of St. Andrews, claimed that “all the churches of the whole of Lothian in common owe obedience to the Bishop of St. Andrews,” and among those present on the occasion of this declaration was Orm, Priest of Houm (Hume). Orme was a well known name in Scotland being borne by people [...]

0 Comments Read more »