Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/rudeduck/public_html/urbansea.com/wp-content/themes/continuum/functions/admin-hooks.php on line 160
W3vina.COM Free Wordpress Themes Joomla Templates Best Wordpress Themes Premium Wordpress Themes Top Best Wordpress Themes 2012
Tag Archives: Ormiston Coal Company

Winton Mine

Winton Drift Mine © Scottish Mining Museum

Winton Mine, opened as a ventilation mine in 1943 by the Ormiston Coal Company, was developed by the NCB in 1949 to mine coal. Along with Bellyford, Oxenford No.3 and Castle, it formed the NCB’s economic ‘Ormiston Scheme’ to work the Diamond Seam.. This is the mine’s small steel screening plant which had one ‘tippler’, [...]

0 Comments Read more »

Limeylands Colliery

Memorial stone to Limeylands Colliery © Scottish Mining Museum

Limeylands Colliery, sunk in 1894, was owned by the Ormiston Coal Company. It worked the Four-feet, the Three-feet and the Parrot Seams to produce household and steam coal. It was abandoned soon after nationalisation in 1953. This memorial stone on the Pentland railway Walk gives the history of the colliery including the owner’s name, dates [...]

0 Comments Read more »

Ormiston Coal Company

Ormiston Coal Company colliery wagon © East Lothian Museums Service

The Ormiston Coal Company, whose workings were south of Tranent in East Lothian. The company were one of a number of small concerns working either a single or a few linked, small pits on the East Lothian coalfield. There were vast fleets of colliery wagons, which were in use until the middle of the 20th [...]

0 Comments Read more »

The Locality and Topography of Ormiston Parish

The Parish of Ormiston is bounded by Humbie to the South, Pencaitland on the East, Tranent on the North and Cranston on the West. It is about 5 miles in length and very irregular in breadth, varying from 1.5 to about 0.5 mile; its narrowest part being on the Eastern extremity and it is broadest [...]

0 Comments Read more »