Winton Mine, opened as a ventilation mine in 1943 by the Ormiston Coal Company, was developed by the NCB in 1949 to mine coal. Along with Bellyford, Oxenford No.3 and Castle, it formed the NCB’s economic ‘Ormiston Scheme’ to work the Diamond Seam..
This is the mine’s small steel screening plant which had one ‘tippler’, one shaker, and one picking-belt. Coal arrived in hutches pulled up out of the mine on the brick gantry (right) and, after screening, was emptied into the bagging chutes underneath.
The NCB’s economic Ormiston Scheme, designed to reorganise the shallow workings inEast Lothian, replaced the shafts of Oxenford No.2, Tynemount and Limeylands collieries with four surface mines at Winton, Bellyford, Oxenford No.3 and Castle.