House O’ Muir
One and a half miles south west of Ormiston village at the junction of two by roads is a one storey building dating from the 17th Century. It is oblong in plan and measures 17 feet 8 inches x 48 feet over walls 2 and a half feet thick. The walls are roughcast and the roof is pan tiled. The main features include a sundial on one gable and a large ingle projecting from one of the lateral walls which is still in use as a modern range.
“Murhouse” was one of the properties conferred by Alexander Lindsay of Ormiston upon his daughter and heir when she married John Cockburn. It was still part of the barony of Ormiston in the early 16th Century (R.M.S.(1509) No 3278 – Inventory of Monuments in East Lothian.)
Map of the 1800′s showing the area around House O’ Muir. The Colliery is no longer there. Ormiston Mains farm is still in existence, also note the location of the school.