Schools in Ormiston
In 1842, there were three schools within the Parish, one in the village, one at Peaston and one at the House of Muir.
In 1845, there were no children between 6 and 15 years of age that could not read and write and most over the age of 15 could read but not all could write.
By the present day, all of the previous school buildings are now used privately and the “new” Primary School built in the early decades of this Century (20th) educates children within the village and neighbouring areas. Once Primary Education from the ages of 5 to 11 has ended, pupils then are transported to nearby Tranent (3 miles) to the Secondary School, Ross High, or to the Knox Academy in Haddington (6 miles).