Almost opposite the church and standing a short distance to the north of the road is the building known as Pencaitland House. The original old Pencaitland house, a 17th century building was destroyed by fire in 1875.
Only two wings of the house survived and stand about 100 metres of Pencaitland Bridge within the policies of Winton House. The wrought iron gate which leads on to the high road was removed from Bloxham, England. On the circled walling attached to the wings is a small lead casting representing a peacock in pride above a cap of maintenance which was the crest of the Manner’s family.
The back part of the original house was said to be as old as the church. An early owner of Pencaitland House was the first James Hamilton (1660-1729) of Pencaitland, who had a charter of the lands on July 3rd, 1696, became a Judge in 1712 with the title of Lord Pencaitland. His Great Grandson, William Hamilton Nisbet of Belhaven and Dirleton, married Mary, daughter of Lord Robert Manners, brother of the then Duke of Rutland.
From the above it appears to be established that the Lauders were connected with the Bass Rock.
In the year 1630, we find Pencaitland House in possession of Robert Richardson of Pencaitland, from whom it passed to Mary, niece of John Hamilton of Pencaitland and wife of Mr Nisbet of Dirleton. This lady is frequently mentioned in the session records for her kindness and benevolence.
One housekeeper is affectionately remembered on a gravestone in the parish churchyard. “Erected in memory of MARY WHITSUNDAY housekeeper in Pencaitland House who died August 1836. She spent her whole life in faithful and affectionate service to Mrs. Hamilton Campbell of Pencaitland and her family by every member of which she is remembered with sincere gratitude.”