Mary Hamilton Campbell, Lady Ruthven, was a prominent aristocrat who resided at Winton House.
The village of New Winton, between Pencaitland and Tranent, was built by her to replace houses that were falling down within the grounds of Winton House. She also built a new school in the village next. Next to the school she donated the park to those in the parish for a playground “for the games of football, cricket and others… and a bowling green…for Pencaitland and Winton Bowling Club” in 1884, just four years before she died.
Mary Hamilton Campbell was the daughter of Walter Campbell, 9th of Skipness and 3rd of Shawfield and Mary Nisbet. She married James Ruthven, 7th Lord Ruthven of Freeland, son of James Ruthven, 6th Lord Ruthven of Freeland and Lady Mary Elizabeth Leslie, on 20 December 1813. She died on 5 April 1885. She left no children and Winton estate was left to her cousin, Constance, the great-grand-daughter of her other uncle, William Nisbet Hamilton of Biel.