Adair’s Survey of 1682
The survey of East Lothian by Adair in 1682 was much better than earlier attempts; however, the map did not get published until 1736, which was after Adair’s death. After its publication, it became the standard piece of reference for the remaining part of the century until it was superseded by William Forrest’s survey of 1799.
Adair’s map shows details such as rivers, roads, landforms, and hills, as well as indicating the locations of settlements. The latter are differentiated by the symbols used, as country houses and estates being immediately recognisable. Buildings or areas used for industrial purposes were noted by windmill symbols. Ormiston Bleachfield and pits at Wester Pencaitland appear.
Topographic maps provide information about settlements and locations through time and can provide valuable information for the researcher. However, early inaccuracies might continue for a considerable period – errors on this map were continued by subsequent surveyors and engravers for some time.